Melbourne Airport Taxi Access Fees are charged directly to the CityLink accounts associated with the vehicle’s e-TAG and will be separately identified on the statement or invoice.
Taxis are required to carry on board an e-TAG and have an active CityLink account to access the taxi holding areas, Forecourt and T4 Transport Hub.
Using the Taxi Management System
As a taxi operator or driver you should ensure that you have an e-TAG fitted in each taxi linked to an active CityLink account.
A taxi operator will need to apply funds to a blacklisted Transurban account to allow use of the system. If funds are paid in the morning, drivers will be able to use the system from midnight but if funds are paid in the afternoon this will be delayed for a further 24 hours. Low balance warnings are given by the system to help drivers maintain a valid account.
When using the System, drivers will hear one e-TAG beep as they pass the tolling point at the Primary Holding Area Exit where payment is taken. Drivers will hear four e-TAG beeps if their accounts are suspended. If accounts are suspended, entry into the Secondary Holding Area will not be granted.
The system has three locations with e-TAG readers:
- Primary Holding Area Entry – e-TAG readers are used for direct messaging to drivers. Messages relating to their account status are displayed on a digital sign. No charging happens at this Entry.
- Primary Holding Area Exit – this is the only location where a payment can be taken by the e-TAG readers.
- Secondary Holding Area Entry – e-TAG readers are used here to confirm that drivers have already made a payment. No charging happens at this Entry.
To avoid issues, drivers should ensure that e-TAGs are attached to the vehicle's windscreen in accordance with CityLink instructions.
Taxis won’t be able to access the taxi holding areas, Forecourt or the T4 Transport Hub at Melbourne Airport, if:
- they forget their e-TAG
- they are travelling on a CityLink pass
- their account is suspended.
To ensure you keep your account active and your trip as smooth as possible, please visit Linkt to find out more: https://www.linkt.com.au/help/tags/tags-taxi-airport-access/melbourne